Tuesday

Installation in windows XP2000

The first method is the easier of the two. But if by any chance, you descide to Hibernate your computer while in WindowsXP for example, then your MBR is overwritten by windowsXP and you will be unable to boot into linux using your bootloader.
Here I will explain how to overcome this setback by using the second method. That is installing the bootloader (LILO or Grub) on the linux partition . Here I am explaining the steps with respect to RedHat Fedora Core 2 distribution. But the steps are equally valid for any linux distribution. This is the procedure to follow:
Install WindowsXP/2000 first.
Now install Fedora core 2. I installed it in /dev/hda3 ; which was my linux ext3 partition.
While installing, enforce LBA32. This is necessary only if you intend to install the bootloader in a partition above 32GB. In my case (I have only 12 GB total) it was not necessary.
At the section where the installer asks whether you want to install a boot loader; select yes (Fedora comes with Grub as default boot loader) and in the advanced settings, select your linux partition as the place to install the bootloader. In my case it was /dev/hda3. Nowcomplete the Fedora core 2 install.
Reboot the computer and load again from the first CD in your Fedora Core 2 distribution.
At the boot prompt, type:

No comments: